Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Big bruv is really pleased!

I managed to get some quality time with my older brother over Christmas and told him about my band. What surprised me was that he was really pleased. In fact he gave me a big hug and said "I'm so pleased about your news...". It seems that he (and also my sister, apparently) has been quite concerned about my health and weight for some time but not said anything for fear of upsetting me or encroaching on a private matter. I told my younger brother sister and brother that I was on a diet. My sister said she was really pleased because she had been praying about me and my weight for some time.....

Isn't it amazing what you find out? I genuinely thought that my family would be somewhat horrified that I'd elected to have gastric surgery but that couldn't have been further from the truth! I suppose all these years they have avoided talking to me about my weight because they knew I don't find it an easy thing to talk about - and also I am a very private person.

Anyway, I am so pleased I told my brother and Dad. When the time is right I''ll also tell my younger siblings. I know my experience won't be the same for everyone but if you are considering having the surgery and are thinking about whether to tell people or not - I'd say perhaps we should give our families more credit than we might think!

No comments:

Post a Comment